A Field Guide to the Southeast Coast & Gulf of Mexico: Coastal Habitats, Seabirds, Marine Mammals, Fish, & Other Wildlife
This superb book, with its unique focus on the entire marine coastal environment, is the most comprehensive and up-to-date field guide available on the southeastern Atlantic Coast and the Gulf Coast. Not just for beachgoers, the book is essential for birders, whale watchers, fishers, boaters, scuba divers and snorkelers, and shoreline visitors.
Features of the guide:
- Entries on 619 coastal and ocean species
- More than 1,100 color illustrations
- 450 up-to-date range maps
- Overviews of key ecological communities, including mangroves, salt marshes, beaches, sand dunes, and coral reefs
- Special attention to threatened and endangered species
- Discussions of environmental issues, including such catastrophic events as Hurricane Katrina and the Deepwater Horizon blowout
- Excellent organizational aids for locating information quickly
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Noble S. Proctor is professor emeritus, biological sciences, Southern Connecticut State University. He is also a nature and birding tour leader to far-flung locations from Chile to Alaska to Southeast Asia. He lives in Branford, CT. Patrick J. Lynch, an illustrator, artist, and computer graphics illustrator and programmer, is also director, Design and User Experience, Yale University. He lives in North Haven, CT.
Coverage: Texas, Louisiana, Michigan, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina.